Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Growing pains

Today I took Scarlett to a tour of the kindergarten she will be going to in August. For the last two days, the school has taken groups of kids on a tour of the school. They get to look at the rooms, meet teachers, do an activity, eat lunch, and play on the playground. I have always assumed this transition was going to be easier on Scarlett than it would be on me, but it was confirmed today. We went to 6 different classrooms, and Scarlett knew someone in every class. I decided to let her go to the bathroom with all the other girls, while I waited outside. After a while I thought, " it is taking her a long time, I better go see if she is okay." I walked into the restroom and saw Scarlett and 4 other girls talking. She had not even gone to the bathroom, she was too busy making friends in the restroom! She was so sad when we had to leave. She can't to go back in August. It was hard for me to imagine her old enough for school, but it made me happy to no that she will have NO problem adjusting.

I also want to point out that being a kindergarten teacher has got to be an entertaining job. I was only there for 3 hours, and I learned a ton of things from the kids. One boy told me that his parents just bought a house for 180,000 thousands of dollars, and he got a new belt buckle. A girl asked Scarlett if she had a dad, and Scarlett said yes. Then the girl said to Scarlett,"I have tons of dads and two moms, but Nathan, he is the dad that can never come back to our house with his girlfriend. Her name is Lydia, do you know Lydia?" to which Scarlett replied, "I know Lydia." kids have the funniest conversations. Sad, but interesting.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: