Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dinosaur lake

Scarlett has been learning about dinosaurs in her class at daycare. The week Owen was sick, she had a dream about a dinosaur that had sharp teeth and was throwing up purple and orange throw up. (she has a purple and orange lava lamp) Since that dream, she has been scared to go to sleep, and has been having night terrors again. Last Friday, while the kids were in the bathtub, Scarlett started crying because she did not want to go to sleep. Keep in mind that I had been dealing with night terrors (any mom who has kids that have night terrors knows how crazy they are, so I was getting tired of the crying and I knew I had to come up with something to stop it. I said, "Scarlett, if you are so afraid of dinosaurs, I am going to take you to where they used to live, so you can see they don't exist anymore." As soon as the words left my mouth, I knew that this could be a bad idea. I got the kids out of the bath and got them in their pj's and drove them out to a lake in the woods. This is a good 20 minute drive, in the middle of the forest. When we got to the lake I said, "Look, do you see ANY dinosaurs?!" Scarlett said, "they must be extinct because I don't see any of them." Score, I assumed she was over her fear. Then, Owen said, "Mom, this place is creepy, I'm scared". It was dark so we could not see the lake really well. I said, "Owen, we will come back during the day to see the lake, and it won't be creepy." That night both kids went to sleep with no crying, and it has been great ever since.

The next day we decided to take the dogs and go to the "dinosaur lake". We had such a good time. I am loving my new phone, and the great pictures it takes.



No comments: