Friday, April 29, 2011

Where do babies come from?

So the other night I told the kids to pick out some books to read. Scarlett picked out a photo album of when she was born and wanted me to tell her about all of the pictures. We were looking at a picture of Mike and I giving her her first bath at the hospital, and she said,"mom, was you healing in this picture?". I was completely shocked. Why would she think I was "healing"? I have never talked to her about how babies are born. I said,"what do you mean?". She said, " was your foot healing?". I said, " what do you mean, was my foot healing?". She said, "what I came out of your foot, did it hurt?". Part of me wanted to say, "yes, of course you came out of my foot". Then I thought, "why do I have to explain this to a 5 year old?!?!,I thought I had a few more years before that conversation!". I knew I had to say something about it because I can't let her think women give birth through their foot(although, that might be more pleasant than where they really come out of, AND, for the record, it would be much easier if we fed our babies from our fingers). So,I said, "Scarlett, babies don't come out of mommies feet, they come out of our privates." She said, " GROSS!!!!". I hope she is not scarred!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: