Wednesday, July 29, 2009

WHY!!!

Why do grandparents have to get old? I was lucky enough to have great grandparents growing up. They were not just great, they made me who I am today. They taught me values, and to put God first in everything I do. They showed me what marriage and parenting is all about. I have always been closest to my Maw maw and Pa Paw (my Dad's parents). My Maw maw passed away I think in 2001 (I am really bad with dates, especially dates I don't like to remember). My Maw maw had the greastest impact on my life. She taught me how to cook, make clothes out of leaves, shuck corn, pick peas and on and on and on. The greatest things she taught me were how to be a woman that loves God, a godly wife and mother, and taking care of people who need it. She taught me how to be a strong woman, and I am so thankful for that. She also taught me how to play games like spinner, uno, and so on. What a great woman she was! The greatest gift she ever gave me, one of my greatest posessions to this day, Is a letter she wrote me when I was born. She wanted me to know her dreams for me in case she was not around to tell me herself. Thank God she was around to tell me and show me herself. I missed her on my wedding day, and I missed her when my kids were born, but I know 100% that I will be with her again one day.
All of this to say, my Paw paw is reaching the end as well. I am going to see him this weekend. It is hard watching him get older, but in a way I am happy for him. He was ready to go to Heaven the minute my maw maw did. He has not taken his wedding ring off and tells people that she was the only woman he will ever love. He is commited to her forever! What an amazing example of the word covenant! I feel lucky to have witnessed longevity in a marriage. Not to say they had a perfect marriage, but they did love each other very much, and it showed. My Paw paw is such an amazing man of God, and he wanted all of us to grow up to follow God. He wrote me a letter as well, and I will have it forever!! I remember getting so excited as a kid to go see them. My paw paw taught my brother and I how to farm, catch lizards, collect and make honey, shoot guns. Actually he would catch lots of animals for us, and he passed that down to my dad who would catch crazy animals for us. He would take us on rides on his four wheeler for hours. We would go exploring in the woods and he would show us different kinds of plants and catch bugs for us. He made us all kids of stuff out of wood in his workshop. The greatest times were going places in their moterhome. I thought it was the coolest thing ever to go in the moterhome. Oh he taught us how to fish, I mean my dad helped with that too :) Oh and he could tell us stories for hours, and the funny thing is most of them were very interesting! I can't wait to see him this weekend. The greatest thing for me to think about is the fact that my paw paw got to meet Mike and my kids, and when he sees my maw maw he can tell her all about them. They can create a huge farm in heaven together, and I can't wait to see them again!


No comments: