Friday, February 19, 2010

Hmmm Gas?



For those of you who don't remember, Scarlett is very allergic to nuts. Not just peanuts, ALL nuts. She also has night terrors, and has NEVER been a good sleeper. I have watched her sleep walking before. She got out of her bed, and went to our room and got in our bed, totally asleep. She talks in her sleep all the time, and sometimes it is funny, and others scary. If she takes a nap during the day, she will not go to bed till 12, and her regular bedtime is 8. The one little nap will screw up days of her sleep. The other big thing we have to deal with is her gas. She is the gassiest little girl I have ever met. I feel bad for her, because she can clear a room, and I don't want her to have this problem when she is older. I can't tell you how many times we have been standing in a line or sitting in church, and she farts, and I have to act like it was someone else. Sometimes she says her tummy hurts, and then she farts and she is better. The gas is always worse at night.

I am saying all of this because I took her to the doctor for her 4 year check up, and mentioned it to the doctor, and I was told she might have to try a gluten free diet. Mike's side of the family has food allergies, and so I always assumed my kids would have something, but poor Scarlett has to deal with a lot! When they tested her for nut allergies, she tested slightly positive for a wheat allergy. So, we have decided to go with more organic foods, and free range meat. They are now linking lots of allergies and obesity to pesticides and hormones found in store bought fruits, veggies and meats. I bought some gluten free pasta, and it was great. I also bought some gluten free macaroni and cheese, and it was BY FAR the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth! I gave both kids that macaroni, and Owen started gobbling it up, and I thought, "oh great they like it"! then Scarlett said, "this tastes horrible like dirt!" I told her to just try it, and then I took a bite. It tasted like wheat grass and dirt. I spit it out and said, "Mommy is so sorry she tried to get you to eat that!" All the while Owen is still eating it. I said, "Owen, you don't have to eat that!" he put his fork down and looked at me with a disgusted face!

If Scarlett is going to have to eat differently, then I will do whatever it takes, and we will all make changes. If anyone has any advice on this, I would love to hear it!

3 comments:

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

It is unfortunate that healthier foods can truly taste HORRIBLE. I wish I had some advice for ya...

jmosizzle said...

i have a friend who is a gluten free queen..and i emailed her for you : ) for some websites or something to help you!

carrie said...

Thanks Jenny!!!!!