Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ahh, Teenagers!

I Know that one day I will have a teenage daughter, and when I do I would like to be as prepared as I can possible be. I have a heart for helping teen girls, and I feel like it is easy for me to connect and understand them. I was a wild teen, and I have learned a lot from it. I have been through things that I know God allowed me to go through so that I can use it to help teens. With all of that said, teens SCARE me these days! Kids, KIDS!, are having sex so early...elementary age! What is going on with these kids parents?! I think it could get worse, because so many families are struggling to make it. God is not the priority because people are hurting so bad that it is hard to focus on anything other than, loosing jobs, and loosing houses. The more teen girls I talk to, the more insight I have into what they are crying out for. The one thing that has hit me the hardest is that kids want their parents to hear them and put the punishing to the side so they can hear. While I understand that punishing is a must, the anger is not. I know I don't have teenagers yet, but I listen to them, and what they want it for their parents to provide a safe place for them to talk. I think this simple little thing could save a child from a lot of crap they have to deal with. If a teen does not feel comfortable to talk with a parent, the parent should encourage them to talk to someone who shares the same values. My mom always pointed me to 3 different women when I was having a hard time. My mom did not take it personal that I did not want to talk to her, she just wanted me to talk to someone. I am so thankful that I had those three women in my life! If you have a heart to help, don't sit around and hope someone else will reach out to a child, go out and do what you can!

1 comment:

Amanda Brooke Kilgore said...

So glad you are there for these sweet girls!