Tuesday, June 1, 2010

thoughts

When we decided to sell our business, we had many reasons for doing it. MANY reasons! We did not really think about what Mike would do, because we really did not care what he did as long as we did not have to be business owners. We wanted him to have a job where he could stay home during the day, and work at night. The job that was available at the time that we sold the business was a tile job, so he took it.
Since we have become parents, we have NEVER wanted the kids in daycare. Every week when I had to get them ready for daycare, I was depressed. I thought of ways to get them out of going to daycare regularly. I think they were at a decent daycare, but I am a picky mom who thinks she knows better than anyone else how to raise her kids. Mike and I love our kids more than anyone else could, and I wanted them to be with us as much as possible.
In December we decided that it would be best if Mike got a second job to help pay off cars and other things. We thought we could be debt free in a year. Also, we wanted a steady income, and construction is not always steady. Oh, and he call every electrical company in town, and no one was hiring until the summer. He got a job delivering pizza. I have to admit that I was not thrilled about this job, because I was a little concerned with how people would treat him. I was thrilled that I had a husband that would do anything to get his family ahead. Of course every time he had to tell someone he was delivering pizza, they looked at him with an uncomfortable look, and said, "oh that's nice". No one thought it was "nice" people just assumed we were struggling financially. What people did not understand was that it was the first time in our married life that we were not struggling. When we had the business, we went to be most nights stressed out of our minds about how we were going to pay all of our bills.
Everything was going so good for us, and we were so happy. Then the tile job ended, and all he had was delivering pizza. He was searching for another construction job, and then I realized that we were paying the bills with just my job and his pizza job. The thought occurred to us that if he kept his pizza job only, we would have everything we have wanted. The kids would not need to be in daycare at all, and we would be financially set. For two months now we have been happier than ever. It is summer now, and he could go out and get an electrical job anywhere, but he is not going to do it. We don't need it. We are happy. I am more proud to be married to Mike than ever! He is an amazing example of a man.
I have learned more this year than ever. Life is soooo not about what you have. It is about the relationships you have. We have taken on a whole new perspective, and I love it! I guess this post is for all the people that have judged him for his job. And also to make people think about judging someone before they know the whole story. We have really learned who our true friends are this year, and I could not be happier about it.

No comments: