Monday, June 7, 2010

More paw paw


I think blogging about this is kind of therapeutic. Not everyone has close relationships with their grandparents, but I have been so blessed to have mine be a HUGE part of my life. I feel pretty empty right now. My grandmother died in 2001 (I think) and that was hard. One of the hardest parts about her death was seeing my paw paw miss her. He wanted to be with her. He loved God, and knew that he would be with her again someday, and today he finally got his wish. I bet they are in heaven catching up right now. Talking about grand kids, great grand kids and weddings and who knows what else. Even though this is so sad for me, that I will never get to hug him again, I am happy because he is in heaven.
I am so incredibly lucky to have had grandparents like him and my maw maw. I will never forget his slobbery kisses that I would wipe off. Every time I clip my kids toenails, I think of him. He would always clip my toenails and it tickled SOOOOOO bad! I will always remember him catching lizards for me and my brother. We would go to church with him and my maw maw when we would go visit them, and he would let me sit in his lap. I usually fell asleep in his lap because they went to the most boring church in the world. One time I fell asleep in his lap and I remember closing my eyes and dreaming that I was falling, and I jumped and my shoe flew up in the air.
He was the greatest gardener EVER. We loved going to visit them in the summer and help him garden. Gardening memories are memories I will never forget. Mike was telling me this morning, that he will never forget the first time he met my paw paw. My paw paw got in his face and told him to treat me right, right after he showed him all of his guns.
This morning when my dad called me, it was a call I knew was coming. I knew why he was calling, and I was as prepared as I could be. It is still hard to take, but I am going to hold on to the great memories of him, and know that he is in a much better place. And he is singing hymns with the angels.

No comments: