Wednesday, July 13, 2011

home birth?

It is a growing trend to have a home birth. I have looked into this, mainly because my two previous bith experiences were not ideal. I was induced with Scarlett because I was "showing signs" of pre eclampsia. I get that I was induced because there might have been complications, so I am not too upset about that one.

I was in a car accident when I was pregnant with Owen. They had stopped my labor one time, and had been moitoring me from the time I had the accident to the time I had him. At thirty six weeks, to the day, I went in for my regular NST and they said I was having mild contractions, and admitted me. After they admitted me, they gave me pitocin. Really, what they should have done, was let me go home until I was in labor and dialated more than 1. I did not see any reason why I needed pitocin if I was in labor.

I think it would be great to be able to be more in control of my birth experience. Women used to have babies at home all the time. No interventions from a doctor who wanted to speed up a natural experience. I also think it would be great to be in the comfort of your own home. The only reasons doctors give a woman pitocin is to speed up labor, and then they give them an epidural which slows labor down, so they have to increase the pitocin. It becomes a cycle of medication.

The only issue I have is that there are no midwives in our tiny town, so I am going to have to settle on a birth at the hospital. The great news is, I have a new doctor, and she seems amazing. She has two kids who she breastfed for 15 months each, while being a doctor! That is completely impressive to me. I think this birth experience will be better for me because of many reasons. I have been through this more two times. I know what to expect. I know what I want, and I am not afraid to ask for it. I am going to have a positive attitude this time, and I can't wait to meet our new baby. We have decided not to find out what we are having, and I am excited for that surprise too.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Carrie,
When I was around 4 months pregnant with Delaney I made the decision that I wanted to bring her into this world naturally. My husband, Ian, and I wanted to be as prepared as we could be so we decided to find a class that would do just that. We went with the Bradley Method. I don't know if you are familiar with it, but it's a husband/partner coached childbirth. We talked to our doctor at the hospital about our birth plan and she was so supportive. She actually started her career as a midwife. I think that it is VERY important your doctor supports your decision. The Bradley classes were so informative. At the end of our class we had an official birth plan written up to give to the nurses and doctors when it was time to bring Delaney into the world. We were very firm about not being hooked up to ANY machines or IVs unless necessary. As you know, you are in a totally different state of mind while in labor so it was great that Ian was there every single step of the way to help me through it. My natural childbirth was the BEST experience of my life and I wouldn't do anything diffferent. I want you to know that I am here to try and answer any questions you might have or just to talk about it. I love recalling Delaney's birth story so much! I am so happy for you and your family! Surround yourself with positivety and support and you will do great! I will be in NM the whole month of November and I would love to chat with you! Let's keep in touch!
Summer

carrie said...

Summer, That is so inspiring! So did your husband deliver your baby at the hospital? After already having two kids, I know what to expect, and I know that I am going to be firm in what I want this time. I really do want to try no IV, no pain meds, and see how things go. I am somewhat familiar witht he bradley method, but I need to read up on it. I am so impressed that you had a natural birth, and that you found such a supportive guy! You seem like you are doing great! I would love to see you when you are here. Carrie